IMEACHTA AN CHO-CHOISTE.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE JOINT COMMITTEE.
Dé Céadaoin, 11adh Baultaine, 1927.
Wednesday, 11th May, 1927.
1. The Joint Committee met at 11 a.m.
2. The following members were present:—Senator S. L. Brown, Chairman; Deputies T. Johnson, M. Tierney and Denis Gorey; Senators T. W. Bennett and Thomas Farren.
3. The Chairman reported that the Statements referred to in the Resolution of the Joint Committee of the 15th December, 1926 had now, been received.
4. A Draft Report, brought forward by the Chairman, was read the first time as follows:—
The Joint Committee appointed “to inquire and report whether the incapacity to be elected to, or to sit as a member of, either House of the Oireachtas imposed as regards certain classes of persons by Sections 51 and 57 of the Electoral Act, 1923 (No. 12 of 1923) should be extended to include any other class or classes of persons, and, if so, to what class or classes should the incapacity extend” report that they have made progress in the matters referred to them; that they have received from the Department of External Affairs statements of the statutory provisions as to incapacity to be elected to or to sit as a member of Parliament of the several nations forming the British Commonwealth of Nations, of the United States of America, and of the following European countries:—France, Norway, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Poland, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland and Czechoslovakia; that they have not taken oral evidence pending the completion of an analysis of the statements referred to; and that it will not be in their power to make a full report in the present session of the Oireachtas.
Deputy Johnson moved:—
“That the Chairman’s Draft Report be read a second time.”
Question put and agreed to.
Ordered, That the Report be presented to both Houses.
5. The Joint Committee concluded at 11.45 a.m.